Show All Results
Lab Technician Apprentice
Posted 23 May 2023
Glasgow, Glasgow - United Kingdom
Req Id 264299
Work Your Magic with us!
Ready to explore, break barriers, and discover more? We know you’ve got big plans – so do we! Our colleagues across the globe love innovating with science and technology to enrich people’s lives with our solutions in Healthcare, Life Science, and Electronics. Together, we dream big and are passionate about caring for our rich mix of people, customers, patients, and planet. That's why we are always looking for curious minds that see themselves imagining the unimaginable with us.
Your role: We have a fantastic opportunity for a Multiskilled Modern Apprentices to join our Operations team within our Contract Testing Services business. Apprentices will work with teams across different parts of the business, gaining meaningful industry experience and will have ample opportunity to learn from colleagues who have already completed apprenticeships in the same discipline!
We are looking for apprentices who want to learn on the job, developing practical skills, personal competencies and to build relationships with colleagues across our business.
During this fixed term 4-year apprenticeship the successful candidates will:
- Learn about working within Life science industry
- Support and carry out Lab-based equipment cleans and required paperwork
- Play a key role in maintaining housecleaning schedules and equipment checks
- Become a key knowledge holder of the archiving process and systems
- Work within the laboratory following Standard Operating Procedures and relevant compliance regulations (GLP/GMP) to ensure routine tasks are completed on time and accurately
- Perform routine peer review of raw data records as required
- Maintain stock control in the laboratory, order consumables and reagents
- Prepare and maintain stock solutions, reagents and media for use in laboratories
- Assist in labelling tubes, plates, flasks, slides and other consumables as appropriate for laboratory use
- Actively maintain a clean, tidy and safe work environment
- Perform expiry date checks and discard material, as required, following the relevant designated procedure
- Undertake a variety of other tasks required for the upkeep of the team’s testing equipment, stock solutions, and in lab reagents
Who you are:
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Interested in developing a career in biology
- Should have good communication skills, both written and verbal
- As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills developments, you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately
- You must be willing to self-learn and research and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You can work independently, safely, responsibly, take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
School leavers will preferable already have:
- National 4 or above (or accredited equivalent) in Maths, English and a traditional science or technical subject.
- Previous experience/knowledge working in a regulated environment (GLP/GMP) would be advantageous
- You will be expected to attend college for 1 day per week
- To complete SVQ candidates are required to do 8 units, 5 are mandatory & 3 optional.
- The SVQ is entirely work based, which consists of a written account of a task relevant to unit. The task is marked against performance criteria and unit is awarded. SVQ assessor meets MA once per month and review.
- There will be a number of occasions when people would be directly observed in SVQ activity.
- SVQ for MA takes 2 years, most people get through this in 12-18 months.
What we offer: We are curious minds that come from a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and believe that it drives excellence and innovation, strengthening our ability to lead in science and technology. We are committed to creating access and opportunities for all to develop and grow at your own pace. Join us in building a culture of inclusion and belonging that impacts millions and empowers everyone to work their magic and champion human progress!
Apply now and become a part of our diverse team!