Show All Results
A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 60,300 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. External applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
At MilliporeSigma, this Senior Scientist – Hazard Evaluation opening is a laboratory position in a Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) for our Life Science business. The primary focus is the execution and improvement of chemical process safety for the Sheboygan Falls, WI site (primary) and IOS cluster (secondary).
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct formal hazard evaluations and write Process Hazard Evaluation reports.
- Run associated hazard evaluation experiments using RC1e, EasyMax, DSC, ARC, BAM Fallhammer, BAM Friction tester, Burning Behavior, interpret results, and write experimental reports.
- Lead formal risk assessments for laboratory and kilo laboratory scale manufacturing processes and write risk assessment reports.
- Meet contract milestone deadlines and budgets.
- Coordinate with development and manufacturing groups to proactively identify potential hazards and risk mitigation.
- Train personnel on process safety and serve as a subject matter expert on reactive chemical hazards.
- Assist the contract bidding process by identifying hazardous processes or chemicals that cannot be safely handled at manufacturing sites.
- Lead Process Development projects as assigned.
- Work in accordance with FDA, OSHA, EPA, DNR, DOT, other regulatory agency guidelines, MilliporeSigma corporate safety guidelines and procedures, and Environmental Health and Safety guidelines and procedures.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or other scientific discipline
- 5+ years’ experience in Chemical Process Safety
- Master’s Degree in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or other scientific discipline
- 2+ years’ experience in Chemical Process Safety
- PhD in Organic Chemistry with 5+ years’ industrial experience and a thorough understanding of chemical process safety and thermochemistry.
- Experience in process development and manufacturing techniques from laboratory to scale-up laboratory, kilo scale, pilot plant scale, and plant scale.
- Experience with ASTM CHETAH program, running and interpreting hazard evaluation experiments, and hazard evaluation literature including Bretherick’s Handbook of Reactive Chemical Hazards.
- Mechanical skills to maintain hazard evaluation laboratory equipment.
- Proficiency with software including MS Office, ChemOffice, and scientific plotting and statistical software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant quality systems overall goals, implementation, and application.
What we offer: We are curious minds that come from a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
We celebrate all dimensions of diversity. We believe that it drives excellence, innovation, and human progress. We care about our customers, patients, and our rich mix of people. This diversity strengthens our ability to lead in science and technology.
We are committed to creating access and opportunities for all and empower you to fulfil your ambitions. Our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons.
Join us in building a culture of inclusion and belonging that impacts millions and empowers everyone to bring their curiosity to life!
If you would like to know more about what diversity, equity, and inclusion means to us, please visit https://www.emdgroup.com/en/company/press-positions.html
If you are a resident of Colorado or New York City, you are eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 855 444 5678 from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET Monday through Friday, for assistance
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.
As an employee of the Company, you will be required to comply with all of the Company’s COVID-19 safety protocols and policies. The organization has currently suspended enforcement of its COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, but that policy may be reinstated by the Company in its discretion.