Show All Results
Supervisor - Small Volume Chemical Manufacturing Lab
A career with EMD Electronics is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 60,300 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Electronics is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Everything we do in EMD Electronics is to help us deliver on our purpose of being the company behind the companies, advancing digital living. We are dedicated to being the trusted supplier of high-tech materials, services and specialty chemicals for the electronics, automotive and cosmetics industries. We foster a global collaborative organization made up of individuals who have the passion to win, obsess about the customer, are relentlessly curious and act with urgency. Together, we push the boundaries of science to make more possible for our customers.
This role does not offer sponsorship for work authorization. External applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
The Small Volume (SVM) Lab Supervisor will be a part of the Operations Manufacturing team in Carlsbad, CA, supporting the small-volume manufacturing process and the experimental products M4Ward™program. The Small Volume team works closely with the New Product Development, M4Ward™, Marketing, Analytical and Engineering teams. The Small Volume team works to scale up and optimize production of new chemicals transferred from R&D and assists in transitioning production to high volume scale up as needed. This position is responsible for supervising the SVM Lab by ensuring the lab is operating safely, maintaining an adequate inventory of chemicals to fill customer orders, and giving direction to the lab personnel as needed.
- Supervising daily activity of the lab and lab personnel
- Ordering chemical raw materials
- Ordering laboratory supplies
- Leading weekly lab meetings
- Leading safety meetings and ensuring Basic Safety Principals and objectives are met for the department Including chemical SDS reviews and hazard assessments
- Driving quality improvements within the department, including Continuous Improvements projects, documentation archiving, drafting/updating work instructions and SOPs as needed
- Optimizing chemical purification and production output
- Maintaining a current chemical inventory
- Working with marketing team to provide new offerings to customers
- Wearing full face air-purifying respirator and other PPE
- Lifting to 50 pounds
- Standing, sitting, or walking for up to 8 hours
- Raising arms up to and possibly above 90-degree angle
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or other Scientific discipline
- 3+ years of experience with chemical manufacturing and/or chemical processing
- Knowledge of P&ID’s and basic engineering principals
- Chemical distillation and sublimation knowledge
- Prior chemistry lab experience handling highly toxic chemicals, acids, and bases
- Excellent troubleshooting, documentation, and communication skills
- Focus on quality and safety
- Experience using Microsoft suite including (Word, Excel, Access, SharePoint)
- Experience using SAP, HARIET, Intelex MOC, and LIMS systems
- Strong data analysis, attention-to-detail, and organizational skills
What we offer: We are curious minds that come from a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
We celebrate all dimensions of diversity. We believe that it drives excellence, innovation, and human progress. We care about our customers, patients, and our rich mix of people. This diversity strengthens our ability to lead in science and technology.
We are committed to creating access and opportunities for all and empower you to fulfil your ambitions. Our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons.
Join us in building a culture of inclusion and belonging that impacts millions and empowers everyone to bring their curiosity to life!
If you would like to know more about what diversity, equity, and inclusion means to us, please visit https://www.emdgroup.com/en/company/press-positions.html
If you are a resident of Colorado or New York City, you are eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 855 444 5678 from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET Monday through Friday, for assistance
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.
As an employee of the Company, you will be required to comply with all of the Company’s COVID-19 safety protocols and policies. The organization has currently suspended enforcement of its COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, but that policy may be reinstated by the Company in its discretion.