Show All Results
Head of Project Management
A career with EMD Electronics is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 60,300 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Electronics is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Everything we do in EMD Electronics is to help us deliver on our purpose of being the company behind the companies, advancing digital living. We are dedicated to being the trusted supplier of high-tech materials, services and specialty chemicals for the electronics, automotive and cosmetics industries. We foster a global collaborative organization made up of individuals who have the passion to win, obsess about the customer, are relentlessly curious and act with urgency. Together, we push the boundaries of science to make more possible for our customers.
As the Director of the global Project Management team within the Semiconductor Materials Engineering group, you will provide strategic vision and leadership to a team of highly qualified Project Managers, Coordinators and Controllers responsible for the planning and execution of a variety of Capital investment projects based in the US, Taiwan, China, Korea, Japan and Germany. Projects in the Capital portfolio range from production expansion, equipment installation, and greenfield plant construction. Each project requires careful and attentive consideration for execution strategy, process scope development, cost and schedule estimating, project planning, hazard review, detailed design, contractor selection, construction management, safety management, commissioning, startup and handover to operations.
You will be accountable for all facets of the Capital project management and will ensure the Project Managers execute to plan while maintaining appropriate levels of monitoring, visibility, and transparency. You will be a key representative for the team throughout communication to sponsors and collaborators and will be responsible for leading and communicating the overall status of the full global Capital project portfolio to higher levels of management.
To succeed in this role, you will need to demonstrate your leadership and communication skills to collaborate with global and cross-functional teams. Since a major determinant of project success is optimally leveraging internal and external resources, you will also need to continuously support assessment of capabilities of project managers, engineers, suppliers, and contractors. Prioritization and resource management are vital to sufficiently staffing the broad range of projects and ultimately achieving the time-sensitive and cost-efficient capacity targets required by the Semiconductor Business Unit. As a project management authority, you will need to keep advancing your skills and the skills of the team through continuous education and on-the-job training.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Setting, updating and communicating the group mission, vision and values to the Project Management team and ensuring continuous alignment
- Providing guidance and decisions to the Project Management leadership team, ensuring global standardization and continuous communication among the Project Management regional leads
- Supporting the preparation, development and management of the comprehensive Capital project portfolio budget and schedule, and handling the monthly portfolio updates and communications
- Applying resource planning tools and techniques to optimally prioritize and properly staff the Capital project portfolio, communicating needs and status regularly with matrix supporting engineering functional groups
- Contributing to project life-cycle improvement through project post-implementation assessment (closeout), lessons learned, best practice sharing, training, and technical transfer as needed
- Reinforcing and verifying correct usage of all Project Management standards, templates and processes
- Facilitating communication and coordination within the project team and other stakeholders
- Supervising team activities to ensure execution of the projects within the committed scope, cost, and schedule
- Facilitating status meetings with upper management, advisory and/or steering committee members for escalation and resolution of risks and issues
- Leading efforts for development, implementation and assessment of group training
- Coaching, mentoring and improving individual Project Manager competencies in scope, cost, schedule and risk management
Who you are:
- BS degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or related engineering/science field
- 10+ years experience in Chemical manufacturing production, process or project engineering related positions, with at least 5 or more years related to Capital project management.
- Experience as lead Project Manager on small to large capital projects (greater than $10MM) using various execution strategies such as use of engineering design, construction and procurement (EPC) and/or design-build (DB) contracts
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in areas such as chemical process technology and innovation, sustainability, construction, and/or project delivery
- Supervisory or Line Management experience
- Experience as a senior member of an engineering leadership team
- Experience in leading multi-discipline project groups on large complex projects and programs
- PMP or Professional Engineer certification or Advanced Degree in Engineering
- Advanced knowledge of building and construction, design, construction contract administration, including advanced understanding of industry practices.
- Experience implementing projects in a chemical process plant environment
- Experience in industrial process plant construction and construction safety practices, chemical piping and equipment installation practices
- Knowledge of OSHA PSM (Process Safety Management) requirements and direct experience in chemical plant safety programs
- Knowledge of robust project engineering systems as well as strong awareness and sensitivity to the complexities and safety challenges of implementing specialty materials manufacturing processes
What we offer: We are curious minds that come from a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
We celebrate all dimensions of diversity. We believe that it drives excellence, innovation, and human progress. We care about our customers, patients, and our rich mix of people. This diversity strengthens our ability to lead in science and technology.
We are committed to creating access and opportunities for all and empower you to fulfil your ambitions. Our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons.
Join us in building a culture of inclusion and belonging that impacts millions and empowers everyone to bring their curiosity to life!
Curious? Chat with one of our curious minds on our interactive Q&A platform and catch a glimpse of our people, values, and culture. You can also apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
If you would like to know more about what diversity, equity, and inclusion means to us, please visit https://www.emdgroup.com/en/company/press-positions.html
If you are a resident of NYC, Connecticut or Colorado, you are eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 855 444 5678 from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET Monday through Friday, for assistance.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.
As an employee of the Company, you will be required to comply with all of the Company’s COVID-19 safety protocols and policies. The organization has currently suspended enforcement of its COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, but that policy may be reinstated by the Company in its discretion.