Show All Results
Director, Life Science Government Affairs - Americas
A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 58,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in Healthcare, Life Science and Electronics. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
US employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your start date unless an accommodation is granted by The Company. The Company uses the definition of fully vaccinated assigned by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention for purposes of considering satisfaction of this requirement which is a condition of employment.
Must be located in Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Position requires both domestic and international travel of approximately 10% of time.
We are helping to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic with products and solutions which empower scientists to detect and characterize viruses and to develop vaccines and therapies. As a global life science tools and equipment supplier, we are supporting many of our customers working on COVID-19 projects through our products and services, providing for more than 35 testing solutions across RT-PCR, antigen and antibody diagnostics for both high-throughput centralized and distributed point-of-care settings; more than 80 different vaccine programs, consisting of several platforms that include DNA, Inactivated, Live Attenuated Virus, Viral Vector, Protein Subunit and mRNA; and more than 50 monoclonal antibodies, plasma-derived products and antiviral treatments.
Who You Are:
This role will report to the Global Government & Public Affairs leader and will require a close working relationship with Millipore Sigma regional business and functional leaders. You will develop and lead strategies aimed at business growth and risk management through advocacy, shaping U.S. federal and other Americas public policy, supporting government partnerships, thought leadership, and selected state government interactions. You will lead government affairs and stakeholder engagement within the United States and Americas region, with a primary focus at the Federal level including HHS, FDA, BARDA, NIH and the national laboratories.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Partner with regulatory experts to shape the policy environment, particularly regarding rules and standards that can support the uptake of MilliporeSigma research, testing and quality assurance solutions; work with internal regulatory experts to craft advocacy strategies that address regulatory barriers.
- Collaborate with business functions including sales and marketing and corporate affairs counterparts to ensure Life Science business priorities are translated and executed in groupwide policy advocacy.
- Catalyze partnerships that position MilliporeSigma as the preferred partner for Government-sponsored /funded research, quality assurance and bio-manufacturing investment.
- Assist other regional government affairs colleagues in accessing U.S. government support for transactions and projects overseas, including interfacing where applicable with Commerce, State, USTDA, and USAID.
- Network and report insights regarding anticipated developments in regulation and policy.
- Develop and execute purposeful social media engagement to advance the company’s policy/transaction agenda.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Politics, Business, Law, Economics or related studies.
- 15+ years of experience in Government & Public Affairs, advancing public policy and transaction support.
- Deep and extensive network of contacts within the federal life sciences policy and regulatory community.
- Knowledge of existing policy and regulatory environment in the chemistry and biologics sector.
- Ability to build bridges between business, scientific and technical teams and relevant authorities to develop a politically actionable policy agenda informed by science.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the business impact of potential legislative and regulatory measures and to explain that impact to policy makers and regulators.
- Experience creating and leading advocacy groups around specific issues, including building support from trade associations, life science companies, and other industry participants.
- Preferred expert understanding of federal and state regulatory, legislative and procurement processes.
- Familiarity with the science underlying key MilliporeSigma products and services.
- Proven ability to rapidly summarize and convey real-time information from the authorities to business and regulatory teams.
- Experience in facilitating and guiding direct interaction between regulatory authorities and business regulatory departments.
- Proven skills in collaboration across functions as a respected and trusted team member.
- Ability to analyze and prioritize among multiple regulatory and policy issues.
- Experience working effectively in a matrixed organization.
- Preferred experience in a related science and technology/bio-manufacturing company.
- Preferred relevant Executive branch government service.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
If you are a resident of a Connecticut or Colorado, you are eligible to receive additional information about the compensation and benefits, which we will provide upon request. You may contact 855 444 5678 from 8:00am to 5:30pm ET Monday through Friday, for assistance.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.