A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Your role: This position located in Philadelphia, PA supports EMD Performance Materials by leading a team of Product Safety Associates in the development of Safety Data Sheets and Product Labels for all experimental and commercial products manufactured, imported or sold in the US & Canada. In addition, the position will lead all Hazmat/Dangerous Goods classification/testing activities.
- Maintain of knowledge laws and regulations governing SDS authoring, downstream chemical distribution, and Dangerous Goods Chemical Management in addition to basic knowledge of EHS and Regulatory laws.
- Author and publish US/Canadian Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and labels as well as Manage Product Safety Associate Team to author and publish US/Canadian Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and labels for the company’s commercial and experimental products in compliance with applicable hazard communication regulations.
- Complete hazard assessments, prepare safety data sheets and labels, assist with safety data sheet distribution, and maintaining product information systems for knowledge management and compliance assurance.
- Maintain data integrity on hazard assessments in the SAP EHS system.
- Communicate with various departments to ensure detailed compositional and physical property data needed for the product’s hazard assessment are provided.
- Examine product formulation and documentation necessary for proper hazardous characterization as well as correctness of formulation data.
- Partner with toxicologist and other regulatory personnel to apply product safety and compliance information to ensure product’s hazards are adequately evaluated and addressed on the SDS and labels.
- Provide support to other departments concerning SDS, labels and Dangerous Goods inquiries.
- Continuously improve SDS, label and Dangerous Goods processes focusing on simplicity, transparency and efficiency.
- Develop workflow and system development projects to continue to maintain compliance with US/Canada hazard communication, Dangerous Goods regulations and related regulatory requirements.
- Create and Maintain SOP’s, training manuals, regulatory reports and other materials as needed or required.
- Interface on a regular basis with Global Regional Regulatory personnel. Develop and negotiate policy to resolve differences in labeling, SDS and Dangerous Goods between US and ROW.
- Conduct training in SAP EHS module for SDS, Labeling, and Dangerous Goods Master.
- Lead Task Force teams on projects relating to SDS, Labeling and Dangerous Goods.
- Function as Center of competence for dangerous goods requirements --DOT, IATA, IMDG.
- Maintain certification in Dangerous Goods for DOT, IATA and IMDG to properly classify products for Dangerous Goods transport.
- Liaison with US Department of Transportation (DOT) and Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) and OSHA.
- Manage DOT registration and special permits for all EMD Performance Materials US sites. Develop and submit applications for approvals or permits as required.
- Review New Product Authorizations (NPA) information to assure SDS, Label and Dangerous Goods information is accurate.
- Serve as CHEMTREC Point of Contact for Performance Materials Corp.
- Support agency inspections and formal agency requests.
- Actively participate and represent EMD in Advocacy, Industry and Government Association activities.
Who You Are
- BS degree with 8+ years’ experience, MS degree with 3+ experience, or PhD
- Bachelor’s degree in Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology or other life sciences strongly preferred.
- Higher degree strongly preferred.
- Experience in the Regulatory, Product Stewardship or EH&S field, with an emphasis on SDS and label authoring, Hazmat/Dangerous Goods Classification
- Experience in SAP, SAP EHS Module and other US Regulations (TSCA, FIFRA, FDA, USDA) is a plus
- Excellent Microsoft office skills
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere and to work independently
- Ability to work together with other countries in a cooperative and close manner to build and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external customers to facilitate effective communication of business needs.
- Ability to learn complex databases;
- Strong communication skills to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Strong analytical skills and ability to accurately manage large amounts of detailed information
- Detail-oriented and process driven.
- Aptitude to analyze and interpret regulations and compliance standards.
- Experience providing regulatory support for both internal and external customers
- Comfortable working closely with internal Product Management, Sales, Procurement, R & D, Regulatory and Project Management teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills and will be able to multi-task in a fast-paced office environment.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.