A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
At EMD Performance Materials the Lead Operator is responsible for leading the daily production performance of his/her production area along with the other Operators of the production team.
- Assure optimum operation of equipment by maintaining full compliance with operating instructions and Company policies and procedures.
- Assist the Supervisor in establishing performance, job skill and safety expectations for their areas of responsibility within the Production Department.
- The Lead Operator will also have the responsibility, when assigned by the Supervisor/Management, to oversee any on-the-job training for the Operator I, Operator II and Operator III classifications.
- Assure safe and environmentally compliant operation of the production processes.
- Participate in process performance analysis and improvements within areas of responsibility.
- Provide assistance to other shift members by performing normal operator duties. These duties include but are not limited to day to day operations of chemical reactor, ion exchange processes, DI water systems, batch adjustments, filtration systems, packing systems and process analytical equipment.
- Assist Management with skills improvements for Production Operators.
- Maintain technical data bases as requested by Production Management.
- Provide technical guidance to the team members.
- Perform all required SAP entries as required by Production Management.
- Follow all training and complete all permits as needed to issue Work, Hot Work and confined Space Entry Permits. Lock-Out /Tag-Out, to provide assurance work can be completed in a safe environment.
- Coordinate coverage for personnel absences with Management Approval to ensure adequate staffing.
- Responsible for coordinating manufacturing activities with Supervision, Lead Operators and Operators ensuring safe and effective shift transfer and operations.
- Verify and update procedures are best practices and are in line with written WIs and SOPs.
- Ability to work long hours (12-14) on a rotating shift schedule on a regular basis.
- Ability to work in extreme climates (high/low temperatures and humidity)
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders and walk long distances during the course of the work day.
- Able to move and handle heavy objects with appropriate equipment.
- Ability to pass annual physical requirement associated with material handling and PPE usage.
Who You Are:
- A Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related Science discipline, or an Associate's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related Science discipline with 1+ years chemical operator manufacturing experience, or a High School/GED degree with 5+ years of chemical operator manufacturing process experience.
- 1+ year’s experience in Microsoft Office Suite with specific emphasis on Excel and Word.
- 1+ years of basic math coursework
- 6+ months Forklift experience required
- A High School/GED degree with 5+ years of chemical operator manufacturing process experience in a continuous operations environment (24/7 rotating shift work).
- 3+ years in a leadership role with ability to lead and supervise other employees in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Self-starter with excellent oral and written communication, organizational and analytical skills who is able to function effectively in a team environment.
- SPC experience
- CPR and First Aid certification
- Exposure to Lean Six Sigma and ISO certification.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.