A career with MilliporeSigma is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 51,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. MilliporeSigma is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
Performs paralegal duties supporting the daily activities of the US Labor, Employment, and Litigation Legal Team (“Team”), across business sectors (i.e., MilliporeSigma, Healthcare, and Performance Materials). Provides general support for the Associate General Counsel, Labor, Employment & Litigation, and other Team members as needed. Responsibilities may also include responsibility for global labor and employment matters. This position will be based in Burlington, MA.
- Coordination and management of legal documentation relating to reductions in force, site closures, and position eliminations.
- Facilitate responses to government agency inquiries (DOL, EEOC, etc.) as well as private litigant subpoenas, including coordination of collection of responsive documents and information and preparation of affidavits.
- Management of Team training activities, including tracking training metrics.
- Management of signature authority/delegation process, including coordination of cross-legal entity signature delegation.
- Support Company’s quarterly claims reporting process.
- Manage database of all employment-related agency matters, employment litigation and threatened litigation, projects, and related matters, including working with Human Resources and outside counsel to keep matter management database up to date. Create reports to analyze employment and litigation matters.
- Assist in-house and outside counsel in management of federal and state pre-trial and court proceedings, and state and federal administrative charges. This includes scheduling witnesses for depositions and court or agency appearances; identifying, collecting and analyzing company documents in response to discovery requests; and assisting with hold management and electronic discovery.
- Draft, review, and revise labor and employment and litigation agreements and other documents as needed, under supervision of Team attorneys.
- Interface with both in-house client groups and third parties in connection with various labor and employment and litigation matters.
- Manage projects and performed Team administrative tasks (e.g., calendar management) as assigned by manager.
- Preparation of summary of monthly Team accomplishments for submission to Company leadership.
- Provide guidance and advice to clients on matters within expertise and judgment.
- Research legal issues; gather facts in connection with labor and employment and litigation matters.
- Position involves access to sensitive information necessitating considerable use of tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgement.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience as a paralegal in a large law firm or corporate legal department.
- Substantive experience in labor and employment and litigation matters strongly preferred.
- Experience with the use of Legal department systems such as legal document management systems (LDMS) or similar preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required; a certificate from a paralegal training program or comparable experience preferred.
- Prior experience as a paralegal in a life science or biopharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable global, federal, state and local labor and employment laws and regulations preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work directly with clients and managers.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of detailed supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and prioritize multiple complex tasks.
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.